I'm done with my test stitching, thank goodness. Bored now.
I think I'm pretty much settled on colours for the whole flower series now. :) And the results are:
Top pic is on the scanner, and it's a bit washed out - makes the greens look a bit grey. The second pic is in natural daylight and it's a little dark. Actual colours are somewhere in between!
Forget Me Not - obviously I'm using the Summer Sky, Narcissus and Leaf Green.
Daffodil - Narcissus and Summer Foliage. Like the way the Summer Foliage makes the Narcissus stand out.
Tulip - not shown here as it was decided long ago without testing - one of those love at first sight moments - it's BS Tulip and Beanstalk.
Daisy - really love the Carnation/Creme de Menthe combo. It really makes the pink pop!
Rose - this is a real toughie. Has to be a very deep forest green for the leaf colour. Both Elizabethan Green and Collard Greens are perfect in that respect. Rose of Sharon, while beautiful, is out. It doesn't stand out enough against the dark green. So it's Rosebud or Carmine Rose. I like both combos. Rosebud/Collard Greens is more in keeping with my "vision" but I so love the pop of the Carmine Rose... what to do!
Violet - Easiest decision of the day - after test stitching Ultra Violet, I went no further. Awesome, perfect, wonderful. Now the green... I really quite like it with the Avonlea Green. There's a nice balance between the two.
Iris - another I'm torn about. It'll either be Purple Paradise with Kiwi or Purple Night Sky with Leaf Green. I'm leaning towards the second combo, simply because I love the subtle variegation on the Purple Night Sky so much - it just doesn't show well in either pic. AND because my son walked by and said "I don't know what you're doing, but I like that one!"
And finally, Marigold - was settled without any other colours being stitched. Lasagne/Collard Greens. LOVE this combo. It's actually closer to the photo in daylight.
And now with all that said... I finally have a picture for my gallery! YAY! A dear friend, who wishes to remain nameless, has sent me a WIP picture of Celtic Leaves. She is stitching on 40ct HDF linen using a conversion to HDF silk threads. It's got a nice soft elegant feel to it and I can't wait to see more pictures!
And now with all that said and done, I'm off to do some stitching of my own! I decided English Whitework Sampler needed some love and attention. :)