Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer is almost over...

On one hand, I'm sad to see it go. It hasn't been the greatest summer on record, it's either been cold and rainy, or extremely hot and humid, with very few really pleasant days. However, I've always loved summer, especially all the wonderful seasonal treats that come along with it. I'm a berry person, and I've definitely eaten enough blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries (okay so not a berry) for another year!! I also love that I can stitch outside, which I frequently do on my lunches at work. This is always fun, because passers-by always want to know what you're doing, and I find that it's a wonderful way to get people interested!

On the other hand, I'll be very happy to see it go. I live in a small town that each year is invaded by tourists. Not that I mind tourists, it's our town's mainstay and the small businesses thrive. But the masses of traffic, hoards of people and unbelievably long waits for anything in town can get pretty annoying. Just think - 25,000 visitors to a town that is usually only 5000 and only has 3 stoplights, all crowded into the main street, and always looking for somewhere to park! That leaves us a little impatient, especially when you just want to pop into the post office!

The tourists also create another problem for my co-workers and I. Due to the increase in customers in the store, we all get a huge rise in hours. Now normally, I wouldn't complain, the extra money and overtime always come in handy and this year is no exception as we have the added bills of Jon's immigration to pay off. However, I still want to keep designing and stitching. It gets very difficult to do anything, when you're covering other staff holidays, sick days and the like - over the past two months, I've only had a handful of days off, and most days I'm at work from 6am to 6pm. To try and design anything at that point is pretty hopeless, I'm so tired that I can't even think. When I do get a day off, I usually spend it cleaning up the house - with long hours, I don't get a whole lot of cleaning done otherwise, and the teenager who should be free labour, doesn't help out a great deal being busy himself with friends all summer.

Despite all of this, I have managed to do a lot of sketching, and last week I had a couple of sick days and plugged away at the computer for about 40 hours to come up with a new design! I'm very excited about this one, I have a feeling it will fast become my favourite. It's loaded with lots and lots of different specialty stitches (though nothing taxing, I promise!), and will be stitched with Belle Soie and Gloriana Silks in shades of autumn. I'm waiting for a couple skeins of thread and my fabric, and then I'll be in a model stitching frenzy for a few weeks. I really want to try to get this done in time for the Fall Online Needlework Show, which leaves me with 5 weeks to stitch, diagram and write the chart. Thankfully, I should be getting back to a normal schedule at work over the next week or two, so if I stitch my heart out I might make it!! IF I have a moment to spare, I'll try to post some sneak peeks as I stitch. :)

And one last, before I have to go and get ready for work (short day today, only 10-6!). I've been dying to see some WIP pictures of my designs! And I'm planning a little contest as well, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment